Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Evidence of traumatic brain injury in shooter who killed 18 in deadliest shooting in Maine history -TrueNorth Capital Hub
SafeX Pro Exchange|Evidence of traumatic brain injury in shooter who killed 18 in deadliest shooting in Maine history
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 06:13:59
AUGUSTA,SafeX Pro Exchange Maine (AP) — Robert Card, an Army reservist who shot and killed 18 people in Maine last year, had significant evidence of traumatic brain injuries, according to a brain tissue analysis by researchers from Boston University that was released Wednesday.
There was degeneration in the nerve fibers that allow for communication between different areas of the brain, inflammation and small blood vessel injury, according to Dr. Ann McKee of Boston University’s Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center. The analysis was released by Card’s family.
Card had been an instructor at an Army hand grenade training range, where it is believed he was exposed to thousands of low-level blasts.
“While I cannot say with certainty that these pathological findings underlie Mr. Card’s behavioral changes in the last 10 months of life, based on our previous work, brain injury likely played a role in his symptoms,” McKee said in the statement from the family.
Card’s family members also apologized for the attack in the statement, saying they are heartbroken for the victims, survivors and their loved ones.
Army officials will testify Thursday before a special commission investigating the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history.
The commission, established by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills, is reviewing the facts surrounding the Oct. 25 shootings that killed 18 people in a bowling alley and at a restaurant and bar in Lewiston. The panel, which includes former judges and prosecutors, is also reviewing the police response to the shootings.
Police and the Army were both warned that shooter, Card, was suffering from deteriorating mental health in the months that preceded the shootings.
Some of the 40-year-old Card’s relatives warned police that he was displaying paranoid behavior and they were concerned about his access to guns. Body camera video of police interviews with reservists before Card’s two-week hospitalization in upstate New York last summer also showed fellow reservists expressing worry and alarm about his behavior and weight loss.
Card was hospitalized in July after he shoved a fellow reservist and locked himself in a motel room during training. Later, in September, a fellow reservist told an Army superior he was concerned Card was going to “snap and do a mass shooting.”
Card was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after the biggest search in state history. Victims’ families, politicians, gun control advocates and others have said in the months since the shootings that law enforcement missed several opportunities to intercede and remove guns from Card. They’ve also raised questions about the state’s mental health system.
Thursday’s hearing in Augusta is the seventh and final one currently slated for the commission. Commission chair Daniel Wathen said at a hearing with victims earlier this week that an interim report could be released by April 1.
Wathen said during the session with victims that the commission’s hearings have been critical to unraveling the case.
“This was a great tragedy for you folks, unbelievable,” Wathen said during Monday’s hearing. “But I think has affected everybody in Maine and beyond.”
In previous hearings, law enforcement officials have defended the approach they took with Card in the months before the shootings. Members of the Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Office testified that the state’s yellow flag law makes it difficult to remove guns from a potentially dangerous person.
Democrats in Maine are looking to make changes to the state’s gun laws in the wake of the shootings. Mills wants to change state law to allow law enforcement to go directly to a judge to seek a protective custody warrant to take a dangerous person into custody to remove weapons.
Other Democrats in Maine have proposed a 72-hour waiting period for most gun purchases. Gun control advocates held a rally for gun safety in Augusta earlier this week.
“Gun violence represents a significant public health emergency. It’s through a combination of meaningful gun safety reform and public health investment that we can best keep our communities safe,” said Nacole Palmer, executive director of the Maine Gun Safety Coalition.
___
Whittle reported from Portland.
veryGood! (16)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Former Pro Bowl tight end Darren Waller announces retirement from NFL after eight seasons
- Michael Mosley, British doctor and TV presenter, found dead after vanishing on Greek island
- BBC Journalist Dr. Michael Mosley’s Wife Breaks Silence on His “Devastating” Death
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- How Brooklyn Peltz-Beckham Is Trying to Combat His Nepo Baby Label
- New Hampshire election chief gives update on efforts to boost voter confidence
- Teresa Giudice Breaks Silence on Real Housewives of New Jersey's Canceled Season 14 Reunion
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- The Rev. James Lawson Jr. has died at 95, civil rights leader’s family says
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- California is sitting on millions that could boost wage theft response
- The Rev. James Lawson Jr. has died at 95, civil rights leader’s family says
- These states have made progress in legal protections of the LGBTQ+ community: See maps
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus calls PC comedy complaints a 'red flag' after Jerry Seinfeld comments
- Lindsay Hubbard Reveals the Shocking Amount of Money She Lost on Carl Radke Wedding
- 1 dead, several others stabbed after Northern California lakeside brawl; suspect detained
Recommendation
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
MLB power rankings: Yankees, Dodgers deliver October-worthy appetizer
Uncomfortable Conversations: What is financial infidelity and how can you come clean?
New Jersey businessman tells jury that bribes paid off with Sen. Bob Menendez
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
California socialite sentenced to 15 years to life for 2020 hit-and-run deaths of two young brothers
Woman sues Cold Stone Creamery over pistachio ice cream not containing pistachios
I'm a Seasoned SKIMS Shopper, I Predict These Styles Will Sell Out ASAP. Shop Before It's Too Late.